Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wednesday's Voice

This week's prayer request is close to home as I live in Saskatchewan and have been following this case for two years. I believe this man was set up!

Religious liberty suffers setbacks in Canada


During the last week of July, two court decisions in western Canada have demonstrated the increasingly tenuous state of religious liberty in Canada. On July 23, Saskatchewan's Court of Queen's Bench Justice Janet McMurty upheld the ruling of the province's human rights tribunal that marriage commissioner, Orville Nichols did, not have the right to refuse to marry a same-sex couple in April 2004 on basis of his personal Christian beliefs for The tribunal had also ordered Nichols to pay the complainant $2,500 in compensation.

Nichols had appealed the May 23 ruling, arguing that his religious beliefs should be protected under Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms. McMurty dismissed his argument, however, in her 39-page ruling dated July 17, concluding that the human rights tribunal was "correct in its finding that the commission had established discrimination and that accommodation of Mr. Nichols' religious beliefs was not required." Nichols has 30 days to appeal the decision. He has not indicated whether he will do so.

Please pray that God will continue to keep Canada "strong and free."
Pray for church leaders in Canada to be courageous in standing up for religious freedom in their nation.
That our passion for Christ will be a light that draws others to Jesus (Matthew5: 14-16)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you know how much this whole thing annoys me to no end! And to tell them his religious beliefs don't matter? Nice.

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel

Prairie History