Monday, April 19, 2010

Music Monday - Gather at the River


Over the last week there has been tension among two friends I know. Things have been said and things have been done that really shouldn't have. Lines have been crossed and fortifications built.

Friendships are good and from God. He wants us in community with each other. He calls us to be good neighbours to each other. We often refer to it as the Golden Rule.
...that you love your neighbor as well as you do yourself (Luke 10:27b Msg)
The last few days I've been thinking about this. What ramifications it brings to my life? Do I really treat everyone the way I expect to be treated? How do I treat others? I don't always treat people the way I would expect to be treated. I can gossip with the best of them. I can judge others, making myself feel better about myself. Is this really what God calls ME to do? NO!!!! Who am I to judge and who I am I to list someone's wrongs when the plank is still in my eye.

This week I pray that we can all receive forgiveness from the one who gives it. Lets seek out reconciliation with those who we have hurt. Lets do as God calls us to.

But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously— take God seriously. (Micah 6:8 Msg)



Sometimes we don't see eye to eye
We don't agree, we don't know why
But Jesus prayed that we'd be one
So for the sake of god's own son
Can we put away our differences
Lay down our pride
I think it's time we start turning the tide

(chorus)
Shall we gather at the river of forgiveness
Come together at the waters of love
Flowing like a fountain from the mercy giver
Shall we gather at the river

We have all made enemies of
The ones we're called by Christ to love
But there's redemption at the riverside
The water's deep, the water's wide
It can wash away our bitterness
The current is strong
I think we've been out in the desert too long

(repeat chorus)

We can wade into the middle
Where the healing waters flow
It only takes a little
To heal a wounded soul
It will only bring us closer
Than we've ever been before
This is just what Jesus was praying for

Now go and share your Music Monday with Shawntele at Saved by Grace!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Great song and post. Hope your friends patch everything up.

Blessings,
Amy

Oh and stop by my blog if you get a chance. I am doing a giveaway. I know you love to cook, so I would love for you to win the giveaway.

Anonymous said...

Amen. And you're a fabulous friend. :)

Shawntele said...

Michelle, I found myself speaking to my DH about this same message just this weekend regarding a situation in our neighborhood. Have you heard the song 'Everyday People' I almost shared that yesterday! Thanks for linking up. :O)

Kari said...

Very true. It is the first and most important commandment:
To love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and love your neighbor as yourself.
The wonderful thing about this is that 'His love has been shed abroad in our hearts' so if it seems impossible, it's not. In the flesh it may be hard, but impossible. Never. Good post.

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel