Monday, April 26, 2010

Music Monday - Welcome Home!!!

"I made sure every door stayed locked, every window blocked and still you knocked" Words that have stayed with me since I first heard this song. They still resonate within me, because even after 10 years, sadly they still apply to my relationship with God. I tend to hold Him at arms length and not where He should be, in me.

This last month my Bible Babes and I have been working on Kelly Minter's No Other Gods. We've each had to name our idols or as I like to refer to them as "our little "g" gods." At the same time, I've been reading Get Out of That Pit by Beth Moore. I've had to do some pretty tough reflection about my life and my relationships. It's hit me hard. I finally reconciled myself that my little "g" gods are my closest friendships and that they may be turning into an addiction. Just then, God decided to "slap" me.

I was "innocently" doing my bible study work last week and then I read this:

So if you're serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don't shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that's where the action is. See things from his perspective.

Your old life is dead. Your new life, which is your real life—even though invisible to spectators—is with Christ in God. He is your life. When Christ (your real life, remember) shows up again on this earth, you'll show up, too—the real you, the glorious you. Meanwhile, be content with obscurity, like Christ.

And that means killing off everything connected with that way of death: sexual promiscuity, impurity, lust, doing whatever you feel like whenever you feel like it, and grabbing whatever attracts your fancy. That's a life shaped by things and feelings instead of by God. It's because of this kind of thing that God is about to explode in anger. It wasn't long ago that you were doing all that stuff and not knowing any better. But you know better now, so make sure it's all gone for good: bad temper, irritability, meanness, profanity, dirty talk. (Colossians 3:1-8)

Have I really been acting like it? NO! Have I been doing what feels good whenever I want? YES! Do I know better? YES! Am I going to start making changes? YES!

Talked about getting slapped. I love God. He is so amazing. He knows what to to tell us and when to tells us. He knows when we're ready to really hear the hard stuff. I'm no longer a "toddler" Christian. I'm now growing up and having to chew on the meat and potatoes.

I welcome Christ into my life today, just like I did 10 years ago. Welcome Home! All Your Own!



Take, me, make me
All You want me to be
That's all I'm asking, all I'm asking

Welcome to this heart of mine
I've buried under prideful vines
Grown to hide the mess I've made
Inside of me
Come decorate, Lord
Open up the creaking door
And walk upon the dusty floor
Scrape away the guilty stains
Until no sin or shame remain
Spread Your love upon the walls
And occupy the empty halls
Until the man I am has faded
No more doors are barricaded

Chorus:
Come inside this heart of mine
It's not my own
Make it home
Come and take this heart and make it
All Your own
Welcome home

Take a seat, pull up a chair
Forgive me for the disrepair
And the souvenirs from floor to ceiling
Gathered on my search for meaning
Every closet's filled with clutter
Messes yet to be discovered
I'm overwhelmed, I understand
I can't make this place all that You can

repeat chorus

I took the space that You placed in me
Redecorated in shades of greed
And I made sure every door stayed locked
Every window blocked, and still You knocked

repeat chorus

Take me, make me
All You want me to be
That's all I'm asking, all I'm asking

Now go and share your music with Shawntele at Saved by Grace.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Michelle,
I can certainly relate to your post and this song - little "g" gods is a good way to put it; we all have them and letting them go is tough. By God's grace may we be able to do it.
Thanks for sharing this one and God Bless!

kellyjovander said...

Thanks for your words, Michelle. I can relate. For a long time, I've been stagnant in my faith. My mom died two years ago and I've felt pretty numb ever since. This is a tough place for me because I am a pastor's wife - and have loads of responsibility at church. There really isn't much time to grieve, or actually to reflect at all. For the last year, every time I walk in the church doors I am in charge of something. As this school year wraps up, things will shift. I'm determined to use that margin for personal growth and time with God - and not accepting more duties for a while.

Lately, I think my soul is starting to wake up again. A fresh yearning for God is stirring in my heart. Maybe I should look into that "No Other gods" study, too. I loved the interpretation of Colossians 3 - especially the bolded part.

Shawntele said...

Ouch!!!

Shawntele said...

Never mind Music Monday today, your post said more to me than the song did! It's a great song, but a 'nothing but the truth, straight from God' post. Thank you!

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel