Monday, November 15, 2010

Martha Monday's - Shiny Sink

Does your sink often look like this in the morning?


Be honest.  I have to admit that more often than not, mine does.  It's not that I'm lazy.  The truth is by the time dinner is over, all I want to do is "veg out."  I'm sure you all know what I mean.

I never thought about my sink much.  When it was full, I'd either wash them or load the dishwasher.  That was until I did Fly Lady 7 years ago.  The first thing she encourages you to do is to "shine your sink."  I know crazy.  Who ever thought you'd want your sink to shine.  Why should you shine your sink?  According to the Fly Lady "When you get up the enxt morning, your sink will greet you and a smile will come acros your lovely face."  She's right.  When I've emptied my sink the night before, the next morning I'm relaxed and able to deal with things.  In fact, it's almost as good as a cup of coffee, but not quite.


1.  Take out the dishes.

2.  Fill with very hot water to the rim, one side at a time.  Pour a cap of bleach into the water.  Let it sit for 1 hour.  Pull plug with tongs or wear gloves to get remove it.  Repeat for 2nd basin.  Rinse well.  (I do this step about once a month).

3.  Use cleanser and scrub sink.  Rinse well.

4.  Clean around rim and faucet with a toothbrush.

5.  Get out windex or vinegar and shine it.  

6.  Step back and relax.

Now admittedly, the easiest way to get rid of the dishes is the dishwasher.  I try to fill mine before bed and run it just as we go to bed.  This way, I can put them away in the morning.  However, some people may not have a dishwasher (gasp!) or you have too many dishes to load.  As another helpful lady, Sandra Felton, of the Messies Anonymous, recommends it not done until it's complete.  This means that they have to be washed, dried and put away.  I realize that sometimes this feels daunting, but I it's worth it in the long run.

I admit that I don't always "shine" my sink, but I notice the mornings that I've shined them and so does my family.

2 comments:

Andi said...

I'm so happy to have met someone who can leave dirty dishes in the sink...I come from an entire family of people who can't do that, and I work with a bunch of neat freaks who would totally give me a hard time if they knew I did that!

Anyway, I'm good all day long, but some reason after dinner, I'm just exhausted and the kitchen is just too daunting. It is way more fun when I force the family to help me.

It's Grace said...

I have to say, I feel like I'm in good company!! Too many times I've left my sink looking that way. But you're right, when you do it, it feels great.

I have a white sink (I already forgot what color yours is, and you just showed us) and I fill up a spray bottle with bleach water and spray down my sink almost every day. It so easily discolors when I dump food and coffee in it, so I do this to keep it white.
I also have a spray bottle of vinegar and water that I use for the faucet. Love it.

These are great tips, thanks for sharing!!

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel

Prairie History