Monday, December 13, 2010

Music Monday - Hallelujah!

This past month, I've been pretty busy getting ready for our Church's Annual Christmas Banquet.  I have to admit that I haven't been around the blogosphere these last two weeks because I've been busy with that, general life or being sick.  In fact I haven't felt very joyful lately.  Usually I'm getting excited about Christmas gifts and Christmas cookies and Christmas....  This year, I've felt almost apathtic about Christmas.  It's coming and part of me is panicing about being ready and part of me just wish it would be over.  That's the consumerism part.

This week I'm going to rest and start to focus "Christ"mas.  The reason for Christmas.  The reason that we should be filled with joy.  Yesterday, I shared a verse with you that talks about joy.  
When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. Matthew 2:10 (NIV)
This verse is reflecting on the Magi.  After they left Herod's palace, they followed to where the star was leading them.  When they came to the place the star was they were filled with joy.  I love the way the New King James Version expresses it "they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy."  Not that they were filled with joy, but that they rejoiced in it.  I can well imagine this joy.  Just think of it in terms of winning the biggest game of your life and the joy that brings.  Now multiply that feeling.  You can't stop jumping up and down.  You can't stop screaming.  You're just so excited and want everyone to know it.  JOY!  Pure joy.

Nothing describes this more musically than Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.  The joy you feel when you hear it is amazing.  In fact there is the story of George II being so moved at hearing the chorus that he stood up.  Which of course being the King, required everyone in attendance to stand.  This is traditionally the explanation as to why you stand when you hear this.  I just think that the music is so moving and so expressive of the joy that we feel towards our Saviour that you have to stand and sing along.

I've shared the version that has been going viral through the internet the last two weeks.  A choral group sang this "flash mob" style at a food court in a mall in Ontario.  I love looking at the people's faces as they try to figure out what is going on.  Isn't this true about non-believers and believers? 


|: Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! :|
|: For the Lord God Omnipotent reigneth.
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! :|
For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
|: Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! :|
The kingdom of this world
Is become the kingdom of our Lord,
And of His Christ, and of His Christ;
And He shall reign for ever and ever,
For ever and ever, forever and ever,
King of kings, and Lord of lords,
|: King of kings, and Lord of lords, :|
And Lord of lords,
And He shall reign,
And He shall reign forever and ever,
King of kings, forever and ever,
And Lord of lords,
Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
And He shall reign forever and ever,
|: King of kings! and Lord of lords! :|
And He shall reign forever and ever,
King of kings! and Lord of lords!
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

I'm linking up today with Shawntele at Saved by Grace for Music Monday.  Come over and share your Christmas Music with her today.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

love the video. love the song. love that i'm blogging this year and have so many people writing about christmas. yours is the second post today about finding joy. thanks.

Andi said...

A group did that a mall here in Oklahoma City this weekend. I wasn't there, but saw it on the news. I loved it. I love this video. Have a joyful holiday season!

Shawntele said...

I so enjoy watching videos like these - they are amazing! I heard that there was a flash mob scheduled at a mall in Calgary today, so disappointed that we couldn't go. I imagine seeing something like this in person would be even more moving.

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel

Prairie History