Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wednesday's Voice - Ethiopia

Ethiopian Muslims warn Christians to convert, leave city or face death
(Source: International Christian Concern)

Christians in the Ethiopian city of Besheno are being harassed and physically abused after Muslims posted notices on the doors of Christian homes, warning them to convert, leave the city or face death. Three Christian leaders were forced to flee the city and two Christians have been forced to convert to Islam. In the Muslim-majority city, the entire evangelical Christian community consists of about 30 believers.

Evangelist Kassa Awano remains in critical condition after Muslims attacked him on November 29, 2010. A few days after the attack, nearly 100 Muslims surrounded a vehicle carrying Christian leaders on their way to negotiate for peace with Muslim leaders. Two men, Tesema Hirego and Niggusie Denano, were seriously wounded, and the other leaders suffered minor injuries. On January 2, Muslims assaulted Temesgen Peteros with a knife after he testified about the attacks on these Christians in court.

Christians in Besheno have been targeted by Muslims for many years. Unfortunately, the local Muslim officials of the city refuse to protect the Christians. The officials ignore their appeals for justice, declining repeated requests for the building of a place of worship and a cemetery.

Pray for the healing of the Ethiopian Christian leaders who have suffered for their faith in Him.

Pray that the Lord would make them strong to lovingly and boldly proclaim the gospel.

Pray that the persecutors will know Christ's love, forgiveness and blessing through the lives of the Christians.

2 comments:

Amy Sullivan said...

Michelle,
Thank you for this post, and thank you for reminding me that there are big things happening outside of my tiny world.

Unknown said...

Dropping by to say I missed you this week. Hope all is well. I have a very random post that I put together because I didn't want to miss CR 2 weeks in a row!

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel