Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Perseverence

Thank you all for your uplifting and supportive comments in regards to last week's post, Motions.  I felt your prayers and love over this week, even while we suffered through the stomach flu.

Today, I finally got to participate in the Imperfect Wives chat room during their weekly Blog Talk Radio show.  With my own schedule on Tuesday's, I have struggled to take part but have listened via podcasts.   Today the ladies started a 5 week series on James.  God has been calling me to study this book over the last year and I have read it , but today it really hit me why.

..because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:3-4 NIV'84
This last New Years, I felt God telling me that "perseverance" would be my word to focus on over this year.  I thought it was just about getting through the trials I've been facing.  Something like Survivor.  If I can get through this, I win.  I was not necessarily thinking about exactly what the prize would look like.
What God was actually asking me to do was to trust Him through these times.  To trust Him completely.  To let go of trying to control everything and give Him the ability to do what only He is able to do.  Perseverance doesn't necessarily mean just survival, but to stand in the truth and grace that He gives us.
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Ephesians 6:13 NIV'84
 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12 NIV'84
If I can persevere and trust God through these times of trials, when they are over the blessing I will receive will be major.  It may be what I've been waiting for.  It may be great spiritual maturity.  It may just be my reward in heaven.  These trials may be for a season or a time.  They may not end until I meet my eternal Father.  But I will persevere and allow Him to complete me in His time and His way.

I'm linking up today with Jen at Finding Heaven with Soli Deo Gloria Sisterhood.


I'm also going to be linking up with Word-Woman Wednesday at the House of Belonging with Tiffani.


7 comments:

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Trials for for a season, and we must persevere. Great reminders!! Thanks.

Unknown said...

I've been thinking the word abundance through this post. More than survival, but abundance awaits for you and for your family.

Unknown said...

So glad that you are all feeling better! Wonderfully wise post today :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Beth Moore's new study is going to be on James. She starts taping the sessions soon, so I am assuming it will be out within the next year!

Annesphamily said...

This is a great thought provoking post. Thanks for sharing Anne

Courtney said...

I love how you say that perseverance is not just surviving, but being open to whatever it is that God has in store for us. Great post.

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel

Prairie History