Monday, August 22, 2011

Who am I reflecting?

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17 NIV'84
 A few weeks ago during the Imperfect Wives show on submission, this verse came up in the discussion.  I have heard this verse.  I have read it a few times.  But until that show, I never really thought about it and the implication it means to my life.

I go through life just doing and usually not with a great attitude.  I often start out the day with full intentions to live life the fullest.  I have a "rosy" attitude.  By the end of the day my glasses are "fogged over."  I am stressed.  I am angry.  I am frustrated.  I am probably not a very nice person to be around.  I snap.  I argue.  I have even been known to "shut down" and hide out in a book.

But this verse changes that.  It is not about me and how it is going to make me feel.  It is really about HIM.  Am I doing everything I do with the thought about how it makes me feel or look or about how it makes God look?  We are but a reflection of Him.  Everything we do should be done to make Him look good.  If my attitude is bad, how am I reflecting God to my husband or my children?  Does it help me to build them up or encourage them?  When I whine and complain about my life to my friends, how am I showing them I trust God?  I am not saying you have to be a "shiny happy" Christian all the time.  But if all we do is gripe, complain and give up then how can we honesty acknowledge that what we are doing is for Him?

Lately when I have asked my 8 year old to do minor chores (ie. pick up toys; brush hair; make bed; etc..), I have been getting the rolling eyes; the stomping of the feet; and a bit of griping.  I have been calling her on it, but really she has been taught by the best.
Now is the time to be transformed and renewed.  It is the time to change my attitude and glorify God in all I do - even doing the laundry.  It won't be easy.  It will be worth it. 

I'm linking up with a great bunch of ladies at the Soli Deo Gloria Sisterhood at Finding Heaven.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle - This is a great reminder for me. i woke up with a bit of an attitude and that is not a reflection of Christ. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction
God bless
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Oh, my girls have learned from the best, too! ;)

One thing I am learning right now is that my actions reflect what I really believe about God. When I'm not believing He is who He says He is, that He is sovereign and all-powerful, I start to fall apart. Beth Moore said in this study I am doing now that we can never be more than the god we believe in. My toes now hurt.

Debbie said...

Busted by a child, God is soooo funny! Thanks, attitude is everything. I've been getting busted lately too.

Unknown said...

It will so be worth it. Just today in yoga class, my teacher was talking about the practice of excellence and what it is that I want to fall away so that I can pursue that. Grumpiness and impatience was my answer, so we will be walking this path together, friend.

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel