Friday, December 23, 2011

Caffeinated Christmas - It Was the Night Before Christmas and Other Stories...

Photobucket

I love Christmas books.  In fact we have a whole box of Christmas books that get brought out the day the decorations come out.  The kids get excited when they see the books.  Some of the books are tradtional.  Some are contemporarary.  Some focus on Santa.  Most focus on the Nativity.  Some of these books are new.  Some we have picked up at second hand stores.  Each represents Christmas in some way.  I thought this week that I would share my favourites with you.

Shortly after being married and becoming a Christian I heard the writer of "one silent night", Janice Chaffee being interviewed on her book.  It was a compilation of various Christmas stories of women of all walks of life.  Some are well known Christians and some were just ordinary women in extraordinary circumstances.  It's a great reminder that we only see the outside of people and never truly know their whole story.


Every household needs a version of "A Night Before Christmas".  The one we own is the original poem by Clement C. Moore and illustrated by Cheryl Harness. 


While I read this to the kids, I often start singing as I sang this in elementary school.  I still remember the tune for 3/4 of the book.  

"Twinkle Twinkle Christmas Star" by Christine Harder Tangveld is another book that I sing to.  You can't help it when you read it.  Sam can now hum to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, so I read it to him often.  I love how the star gets bigger and bigger as you get closer to the end.  The focus is on the Star of Bethlehem and all who follow it.


A book that I feel will become a classic is "We Believe in Christmas" by Karen Kingsbury.  I love the flow of the book.  It's a great reminder of what we are really to focus on during the Christmas season.  Sometimes it's hard for us to explain to our children why we believe.  This book helps us explain to them why.  The illustrations are also great in that it depicts an average family traveling to Church for their Christmas Pagent with views along the way of the outward visuals of Christmas. 


One of my new favourie holiday books is "Llama Llama Holiday Drama" by Anne Dewdney.  Sometimes as adults it is easy to forget how our holiday stress can affect the kids.  We drag them shopping with us, we get them to help decorate and bake.  They are eventually going to blow.  I love how this book reminds us that just being together is what makes Christmas so special, not all the hoopla that we think we need.  The Mama Llama is very smart.  I want to be like her when I grow up. 


My kids favourite book isn't even really a book.  It is the Usborne Advent Nativity Book pop out board book.  Each day of December the kids get to pop out one of the participants of the Christmas story.  They get very excited about this and do not miss a day.  Nicole will often read the story to Thomas while they put up the scene.  So far it has been the best Christmas book purchase.


These are our favourite books.  I can't wait to add to our collection.  This year Nicole is receiving "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" by Barbara Robinson.  I can't wait to read it with her on Christmas Day.

Come share your favourite Christmas reads or other randomness with us this week.  Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

kendal said...

i LOVE the best christams pageant ever!!!! and i'll h ave to check out that first one. we love the jan brett treasury of christmas stories here.

Katharine said...

We love The best Christmas Pageant ever!! Do you have snow? We're hoping but it doesn't look good! Have a wonderful Christmas!

Cindy Bultema said...

Merry Christmas dear Michelle!
Sending much love and a big hug from Michigan to you!
May 2012 be filled with much love, joy and God's richest blessings!
Cindy :)

Aritha V. said...

O, I like your Christmas books.

Anonymous said...

I really liked your blog! It helped me alot… Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel