Friday, March 9, 2012

Caffeinated Randomness - Books, Books, and more Books

Photobucket

As some of you may know, I love reading.  I love books.  I am an eclectic reader.  If it catches my attention I will read it.  Doesn't matter what it is.  Historical fiction seems to be the one that I prefer but I am willing to pretty much read anything.  I usually have 3 to 4 books on the go.  I guess that just proves that I'm so schizophrenic intelligent.  I can even tell you where I left off and the basis of the story of any of the books that I am reading.  When we go to the library, I have had to limit myself to taking out only 4 books at a time in case that I don't get to them.  My daughter now has inherited my problem and usually takes out 10 books every week.  I've had to start to limit her, but she usually has all her books read within 1 week. 
This year I vowed to read one non fiction book a month, specifically the many Christian living and study books I have bought over the years.  They take up at least two shelves of my book nook.  I have managed to do this, but I also vowed not to buy anymore.  This was all good until I hit the thrift shops.  I bought at least 6 new ones that I haven't read.  I justified my purchase with the fact that I will be donating them to the Church library once I read them.  I should just donate them and then read them in the future. 

My friend, Susie, introduced me to Ereader News Today.  This site lists daily free books from Amazon for the kindle.  I have found quite a few Christian books on this site.  I just finished reading Michal's Window, which is an amazing book and well worth the read.  It is a different take on the story of Michal and David's marriage and love story and the consequences when we do not honour our marriage vows (be warned it is a PG17 novel).  Anyway, back to Ereader News, if you don't have a kindle do not despair.  You can download the kindle application on your laptop like I did.  It is a little awkward to read, but when you are engrossed in a book, you won't even notice.  This past week, I have been taking the laptop to bed and reading in bed, which is made especially more comfortable by the new fluffy pillows my hubby bought us.

Is anyone else on Goodreads?  I love this service.  It's a great for listing the books you have read so you don't read them again.  Or listing the books you want to read when someone recommends them to you.  You can also review books and read others reviews so that you can see if a book is worth reading or not.  I don't always agree with others reviews, but that is because we are all different.   I have it uploaded on my Blackberry so that when I am in the library and don't know what books to take out, I look for the ones on my to read list.  If you are on Goodreads, please feel free to friend me.  I love seeing what everyone is reading and what they think of the books.  My hashtag on Goodreads is michelleslomp.

What is everyone reading?  What is your favourite genre?  How do you find your books?

I can't wait to see what everyone's reading and your random fun as well.  Come join in by linking up today.


8 comments:

kendal said...

i love reading so so much, but only one at a time for me, thanks! haven't checked out good reads but will do so. i keep a list on a word document. i highlight my favs. it helps me remember authors i like and provides an easy way for me to recommend books to others. i have been reading autobiographies and memoirs lately - international ones. outrageous grace by grace fabian was the last. absolutley fabulous.

Rachelle Ayala said...

I have a bookshelf full of Christian books from Martin DeHaan to Corrie Ten Boom. But since getting my Kindle on PC I've branched into fiction. My two favorite books are pro-life novels. Twenty Weeks by Melisa Hamling and One Pink Line by Dina Silver. Both present a viewpoint without being overtly preachy. I love the self-publishing movement because it allows authors to get their voice heard without going through gatekeepers.

Thanks for sharing about the books on your bookshelf! I have Kindle on PC and iPad. I take my iPad on airplanes and it's great.

Katharine said...

I got a Kindle for Christmas. I love to read, but find I don't do it as often as I used to. I love the Yada Yada series, mysteries, any Amish series... almost anything lol. I'm going to check out good reads and the e-reader news, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that link - I need some more reading material! I'm just finishing up Death Comes to Pemberley. It's not a bad read, pretty light but still engrossing. And she does a decent job of carrying over the tone of Pride & Prejudice in the first half of the book. After that it loses its Austen-ishness, but it is still worth reading if you're as obsessed with Jane as we are!

Andrea said...

Oops - I accidentally published my comment as Anonymous!

Unknown said...

I love books. I have a bit of addiction to them. :) It is so easy for me to get lost in the story. I haven't tried Goodreads but I will check it out for sure.
Hope you are having a great week. :)

Aritha V. said...

I also love books. I 've finished up a intersting book from Hannah Green: I've never promised you a rose garden. ( in Dutch: ik heb je geen rozentuin beloofd)

I like your bookblog because I am 'een boekenworm'

Donnetta said...

Another reader here.

Books we've been reading must have been a theme as I also posted this last week about some titles that have recently been in my hands.

I just finished "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan.

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel

Prairie History