Monday, March 19, 2012

Messy Monday - Teaching Through Misguidance

Messy Mondays where I share what God has been showing me through the messiness of life. It is my personal belief that this walk isn't clean and crisp and straight or narrow. It's wide and twisted and mucky and messy. It's about the ups and the downs, but through it all God is there with us. 

A year ago, I wrote about Owl City`s version of In Christ Alone and the fact that they skip the verse regarding Jesus` death on the cross.  Last week on the way home from church this same version enabled me to have a teaching moment with the princess.

Sometimes I don`t think I do enough to teach Nicole about the Bible and a relationship with Jesus.  We don`t do regular devotions and I don`t read the Bible to the kids regularly.  I do take the kids to church.  I listen to Christian music in the van and home.  When I can I try to use what the kids hear or learn to teach them about God.

While we were listening to the song.  I told Nicole why I don`t like this version.  She of course asked why.  I explained that the version didn`t sing about Jesus`death.  I asked her why did Jesus die.  "To save us from our sins."  I then explained that when Jesus died all our sins were taken from us and we were made free from them.  That without Jesus dying we would still be enslaved to them.  "That would be silly mommy.   Jesus died for us." Spoken from her heart.  She knows it.  She gets it.

A version that I disliked enabled me to teach Nicole the truth.  Sometimes we don't know how much our kids get.  Sometimes they understand more than we give them credit for.

2 comments:

Aritha V. said...

Oh, what a lovely blog, straight from the daily lives from you as a Christian mothers. I like it very much.

To have a spiritual conversation with my children should actually arise spontaneously. Then it has more influence. Yesterday I told my daughter ( 11) her grandfather Friday must go to the hospital. They try lasering the tumor (benign but still restless). She began to cry ans said: 'When grandpa dies, is He with Jesus or not? He never goes to the Lord's Supper, does He not love Jesus?'
Kids think much more deeply than we think.

Thank you for this blog. And have a fine week.

Unknown said...

Your leading a godly life. That is very important. :)

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel

Prairie History