Friday, April 13, 2012

Caffeinated Randomness - I'm a Rockin Momma

Photobucket


This week I went and saw Trans Siberian Orchestra. I love them. They are amazing. If you haven't heard of them, you are missing something. They take traditional classical music and arrange them with Hard Rock rifts, guitars, drums and back up singers. Their arrangements and original music combined with classic music is mind blowing. That's right – MIND BLOWING. You can't help but become the rock fan you were meant to be.

I will admit that I have never been that much of a rock fan. I grew up during the hair band days. I listened to pretty tame bands – Bon Jovi, Poison, and a bit of Guns and Roses and Motley Crue to jazz it up a bit. I was more a person who listened to pop music. It had to have a beat and I had to be able to dance to it. I also enjoyed listening to soundtrack music. That's right, soundtrack music. The music in the background of the movies. If you listen to enough of them, you are able to distinguish who it is. Williams or Barry. Doyle or Jablonsky. They each have a singular style. It was my belief and I still hold to it, that soundtracks are the new symphonies. No one goes and writes long pieces of music anymore. They all write quick tunes that are able to fit into a 5 minute video (if that long). But soundtracks can go on for a while. They are meant to express the feelings that are not vocalized by the characters or to set the mood. I mean, you really can't forget the music of Jaws and not get a little scared while you are swimming in the ocean or even in the lake.

Those same feelings are expressed in symphonies. What do you feel when you hear Beethoven's Ode to Joy or O Fortuna. The reason we stand during the Hallelujah chorus is because the King was so moved by what he heard that he stood up and when the King stands, so must everyone else.

While, I've digressed about my Rockin Momma story. When I hear TSO, I have to bash my head, clap my hands and give the hand sign for for I love you – the sign of the devil as many thought back in the 80s. I screamed, I hooted and I clapped along. If I could have, I would have moshed with someone. Of course, I'm sure the Evil Twin wouldn't have minded since she went with me (we went on a double date). I think the older I get the louder I like my music. Which is funny, considering it should be the opposite. However, I think TSO just has that affect on people. Most of the musicians used to play in back up bands for many of the 80's rockers. We are all reliving our glory days vicariously through them and their music.

At the end of the concert, we even got to meet the band. It was awesome. We kept hooting and hollering while we were waiting for them. Yep, we were housewives who knew how to rock. When we met them the Evil Twin even got to shake their hands. I'm still pretty jealous of this. I don't hink I'm even sorry anymore for eating all the asparagus on her with out her telling her. (She knows what I'm talking about). My hubby bought a souvenir book and we got the whole band to sign it.

My only regret during the concert is that I didn't get a rockin picture of the two of us with our better halves. But I do have pictures of the light show.



What is your favourite music? What music moves you?

Come join and and rock out your randomness today.

3 comments:

kendal said...

sounds like fun! i pretty much listen to christian music and some 70's - but not quite the harder stuff i listened to in the day:)

Katharine said...

Ok, I have to confess to being jealous! They did a concert near here in Dec. but I could't make it, so glad you enjoyed it!!

Aritha V. said...

I think it is fun to listen to Klezmer.

But above all I love medieval music (lute)

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel