Friday, September 7, 2012

Caffeinated Randomness - September Expectations and Changes

Photobucket

It is time.  We've been waiting for it all summer.  It came up on us quickly and didn't really announce itself very loudly.  I've been patient and haven't lost it waiting for it to come.  The leaves have started turning so there were signs of it's arrival.  The fall mums are out, a sign that it was inevitable. 

My kids have been looking at me a little differently this last week.  They weren't really as excited as I was of its arrival.  They were a little anticlimatic and in fact, just looked at me a little funny when I announced what was going on.  Can't they be as excited as I am?  Can't they understand the significance of the season?  Can't they see how important it is?

Yes, that's right it's Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte season!  It's very important.  More important than the first day of school.  I mean really, school is around for 10 months of the year.  The Pumpkin Spice Lattes are only around for a few months every year.  Last year Calgary won the right to have it a week in advance and I was lucky enough to be able to indulge before so many others.  I blame my old neighbour who introduced them to me 6 years ago.  Since I had one, I have to say they are my favourite.  There is no other flavour that compares.  I wish they would sell the pumpkin spice syrup so that I could hoard it and be able to drink it whenever I felt like it.  But who's kidding who.  It would never last.  I would start and then I wouldn't be able to stop.   Then I would be sad, waiting for the next fall to come so that I could indulge again. 

I always get a little giddy anyway this time of year.  It starts to feel like fall when I hear that pumpkin spice lattes are around and fall is my favourite season.  I love the sounds, smells, flavours and colours of fall.  It's nice to be able to sit, sipping my latte and watch the change going on before my eyes.  I know technically that January 1st is New Years Day, but for me the new year commences in September.  I think its the fault of the school year.  Everything started in the fall:  school, sports, clubs, etc...  We all got new shoes; new clothes, new books, new teachers, and new friends every fall.  As a result this is when I tend to start new diets, health regimes, organization concepts.  All while sipping on my pumpkin spice lattes. 

This fall definitely has a lot of changes for me.  My princess is now in the intermediate elementary grades.  She can try out for extracurricular activities.  Middleman starts grade 1 and is in school full time.  Even though he went to kindergarten full time the last few months, its different.  New expectations and a new aide to assist him.  

There are even changes for little Sam as he is starting preschool.  He will be away from me for 6 hours a week.  I am anxious about this.  Is he ready?  Will he be able to handle such structured time?  Will this be beneficial for him?  Will he be able to fit in?  Will mommy be able to handle this without climbing the walls of the local coffee shop when he is out of her sight?   I am trusting God in this and all situations.  He knows a lot about changes.  He made the seasons and this is a new season in every aspect of the word.  I can either trust or falter.   I can praise Him no matter what or I can live in fear of what may or may not happen.  

I recently read a quote from someone that went "I wish people were as excited about Jesus as they were pumpkin spice lattes."  I know I am excited about both of them.  I mean God did create everything didn't He, even pumpkin spice lattes. 

Come join in and share your season of change favourite with the other java junkies.





  

1 comments:

dcbk said...

hilarious! she really does love this latte. last year she was on the phone with me - calling from Starbucks to find out what kind of coffee to bring me - i had to hold the phone away from my ear when she found out that Calgary was picked to get the Pumkin Spice a week early. it is a gift to find something so simple so wonderful~~~~~

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel