Friday, March 15, 2013

Caffeinated Randomness - Crazy Birthday Month

 photo CIMG2107-1-1-1.jpg

I have to admit that I haven't done anything this week in regards to the 40 Days in the Word.  Time change has really played havoc with my sleeping patterns and this is the first of the two birthdays of crazy birthday month.  I have decided to dedicate this week's randomness to crazy birthday month.  

March used to be the unbirthday month in my family.  It was typically Easter month and nothing else.  When I got married, my husband's sister had a birthday in March, but we rarely saw her.  The only other holiday was my in laws anniversary on the 17th.  They have the best date, if they were Irish.  Still March was a slow month.  Then another of my sister in laws delivered twin boys on the 8th and 9th respectively.  They were born so close to midnight.  However, we rarely saw them as well.  

This all changed in 2007 with I had Thomas on the 27th.  We now had a birthday.  The year I had Thomas, Easter was a week after his birth.  I have pictures of him in his bouncy chair all stickered up by his sister as she decorated him like an Easter Egg.  He started sleeping with one eye open after that escapade.  I didn't blame him.  I relished having my children's birthdays so far apart (Nicole's birthday is in June).  I could plan them both with relish and ease.  

March 2008 just before Thomas' birthday I found out I was pregnant again.  My due date was November 2008.  This was not to be as I miscarried.  I was understandably upset.  Two months later, I found out I was pregnant again.  I was elated.  Then I counted.  March 2009 was my due date.  I would have two birthdays in one month.  As my due date got closer, I started planning Thomas' 3rd birthday party.  I knew if I didn't, the poor boy wouldn't get one.  Luckily I had great friends who helped me in the execution.  Thomas wasn't too happy there was a baby in the house, so having a day with his friends and cake was a great thing for him.  

Since Sam was born, I've only had one friend with a little one the same age.  As a result, Sam has only had family parties with our family and very close friends.  This year Sam is having his first official birthday party with his friends.  I am having a Milk and Cookies party and at the writing of this blog (Thursday night) I am very disorganized and stressing.  I know though that everything will go well that it doesn't matter to the kids that the table looks amazing or that I used my cricut to cut out his name (hoping to get to that tomorrow morning).  I will be spending my morning blowing up balloons, baking some sugar cookies for decorating, decorating the table and keeping the house tidy until the guests arrive.  After that it's a free for all.  

Then it's on to the execution of the next party in two weeks.  Thomas has requested a Hotel Transylvania PJ Party.  I will be making the invitations this weekend and then next week working on the giveaways.    

In all the birthday planning and executions I thought I would share a gift with you.  My cupcake and chocolate icing recipes.  I hope you enjoy them.



Great Grandma's White Cupcake Recipe

2 cups A.P. Flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Butter
1 1/4 cup White Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Milk
2 eggs

Pre heat oven to 350F.  Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together in small bowl.  In a larger bowl, cream butter.  Add sugar gradually.  Add eggs, one at a time while beating between adding.  Stir in vanilla.  Add dry ingredients alternating with the milk.  Disperse in cup cake liners.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

Whipped Cream Chocolate Icing

2 cups Whipping Cream
1 cup sifted Icing Sugar
1/2 cup sifted unsweetened Cocoa

Pour cream into large mixing bowl. 

Mix the sugar and the cocoa together, then sift them into the cream a little at a time, beating with an electric beater.  Continue beating until the frosting stands up in stiff peaks and is thick enough to spread.  Ice cupcakes when cooled.

Do you have a crazy birthday month?  How do you celebrate birthdays?  Come join in the randomness with the other Java Junkies.





0 comments:

My photo
Alberta, Canada
I'm a 39 year old (oh yeah I'm telling you my age) Stay at Home mom. A former Bad Girl now reformed sinner, I'm married to my Y2K guy and raising 3 great children from God. Proudly Canadian, however, missing the West Coast, I currently live in the prairies watching the farmers fields produce as I learn how God produces the fruits in me.
FacebookTwitter
Email
RSS

Mini Me

Mini Me

Middleman

Middleman

Tormentinator

Tormentinator

Friends and Neighbours

Where I travel